Kokaua Town is a fictional Hawaiian town on the island of Kauaʻi. It is the main setting of the Lilo & Stitch franchise prior to the Stitch! anime and Stitch & Ai. It serves as the hometown of the main human characters of the franchise, including Lilo and Nani, and becomes the adoptive hometown of Jumba, Pleakley, Stitch, and most of the experiments. (Some experiments, such as Mr. Stenchy and Spats, were given to those who do not live on the island, while others, such as Sparky, live on other parts of the island.) The town, which was not named until Lilo & Stitch: The Series, is based off of the real life census-designated place of Hanapepe located along the southern shore of the actual island.
Places of Interest
- Aloha Animal Rescue / Animal Shelter: A home for abandoned and lost dogs. It is run by Susan Hegarty, an animal shelter lady with long red hair and glasses.
- Birds of Paradise Hotel: A hotel run by Mr. Jameson.
- Hip Hop Fusion Studio: A private school where rich kids go to learn and where they often dress unconventionally, much like hippies.
- Hula School: A special school where Lilo goes to learn the traditional hula dance and many other Hawaiian-based topics.
- Kauai Airport: Many tourists often come here to meet certain people arriving by airplane, or to travel by airplane. The airport is a modified and genericized representation of the real-life Lihue Airport, which was featured in the original, pre-9/11 climax of the original film.
- Kiki's Coffee Hut: A coffee shack where Lilo and Stitch often go to get a snack.
- Kimo's Arcade: In "Amnesio" when Lilo, Stitch, and Gantu lose their memories thanks to Experiment 303 (Amnesio), the three decide to hang out at Kimo's Arcade and have some fun, while trying to figure out a way to get their memories back. This arcade appears again in "Remmy". It becomes Experiment 276's (Remmy's) one true place after he was captured, extracted from Lilo's dream, and reprogrammed by Jumba. Remmy sends gamers at Kimo's Arcade into virtual realities of their fantasies.
- Kokaua Wildlife Preserve: It is Experiment 210's (Retro's) one true place, where he turns modern animals into dinosaurs and prehistoric animals for a Mesozoic zoo.
- Lahui Beach: The main local beach in town, frequented by both locals and tourists.
- Laundry Store: It is one of the places where Lilo and Stitch go to in an attempt to come up with ideas for a new hula dance for the hula competition at Lilo's hula school. However, while inside the laundry store, Stitch suddenly has a nervous breakdown, due to his glitch, and causes trouble. He later travels back to the laundry store to try and do good deeds so as to prove to Lilo that he is not bad like she believes him to be.
- Lilo's House: A split-level home where Lilo, her sister Nani, Stitch, and later Jumba and Pleakley live
- Macki Macaw's: A pizza restaurant which offers food, games and entertainment. The show features a group of animatronic parrots called Macki Macaw and the Hammerheads, whose lead animatronic is named after the titular restaurant.
- Mart: A department store. The font of the word "MART" on the store is similar to the former logo of Walmart.
- Mertle's House: Where Mertle Edmonds and her mother live.
- Mrs. Hasagawa's Fruit Stand: A stand that Mrs. Hasagawa owns.
- Mrs. Hasagawa's House: Where Mrs. Hasagawa lives along with a large number of experiments whom she took in, thinking they were stray cats. Most of these experiments were activated when Mrs. Hasagawa mistook their pods for apricots and washed them to eat.
- Muscle Bay: An outdoor gym located nearby Lahui Beach. It is much like a health spa, where muscular athletes go to work out and where boxers participate in boxing. The beach gym provides barbells, punching bags, and monkey bars for athletes to tone and condition their muscles. The gym also contains a lake for swimming and a boxing ring for boxers to practice on other opponents and take part in boxing matches.
- Orchard Falls Mall: A shopping center with a large outdoor plaza in the middle.
- Pet Shop: A store that sells domestic animals to customers, not unlike the town's local animal shelter.
- Rental Hut: A shack on Lahui Beach where Nani usually works (before she got promoted to work at the hotel) and where people may rent boats, canoes, rafts or surfboards, as well as goggles, flippers, snorkels, and other swim gear.
- The term "ali'i" references the Hawaiian language that refers to the hereditary line of rulers, the noho ali'i, of the Hawaiian Islands.
- The Orchard Falls Mall is mentioned in the mobile game Disney Magic Kingdoms, where, after a completing a certain quest, Nani suggests to Cobra that he visit the mall so he can find a sunglasses vendor there.
- The Beauty Parlor is mentioned by Pleakley in the mobile game Disney Magic Kingdoms after completing the quest "Nobody Here but Us Humans", in which he refers to it as the Kokaua Beauty Salon. He expresses his gratitude towards the salon's wig department and its "generous" return policy, believing that he is "single-appendaged-ly" keeping them in business because of his frequent visits there.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Gary A. Warner, "Lilo and Stitch are alive and well in Hanapepe, Hawaii", San Diego Union-Tribune, April 26, 2009.
|On Earth: Hawaii | Kauai | Kokaua Town | Lahui Beach | Lilo's House | Aloha Animal Rescue | Mrs. Hasagawa's Fruit Stand | Hula School | Mertle's House | Mrs. Hasagawa's House | Birds of Paradise Hotel | Kilauea Lighthouse | Kauai Airport | Rental Hut | Muscle Bay | Pineapple Water Tower | Farm | Bugopolis | Haunted House | Kiki's Coffee Hut | Japanese Restaurant | Beauty Parlor | Junior Dog Show | Pet Shop | Costumes | Hip Hop Fusion Studio | Orchard Falls Mall | Mart | Macki Macaw's | French Fry's | Shave Ice | Jumba & Pleakley's Bed & Not Breakfast | Baseball Field | Golf Course | Observatory | Underwater Base | Waialeale Peak | Ali'i Trail | Kimo's Arcade | Onaona Skunk Farm | Kokaua Wildlife Preserve | Museum of Natural History Kauai | Kokaua Town Prison | Kokaua Town Lanes | Laundry Store | Bakery | Gas Station | Cinema | Aloha Stadium | Lihue Airport |